Welcome to my Blog! I am so excited about this journey, I love to share recipes with friends and family, and all the more reason to bake more often! First, I am sharing a cupcake recipe, but not just ANY cupcakes… no, these were some of my favorite I’ve ever had! They fit perfectly in the theme for a little lumberjack’s first birthday we attended today. The secret? A crunchy crust, a rich, moist chocolate cake, and marshmallow buttercream. mmmm, just dreamy aren’t they? This isn’t an original recipe, I adapted it from lifeloveandsugar.com and I can’t thank them enough for creating something so delicious! I used a different frosting recipe than what is on their site, which I grabbed from The Gracious Wife and let me tell you, the combo was perfection! So if you want to try them, here it is.
This recipe yeilds 12-14 cupcakes
- For the Crust
- 1 1/4 graham cracker crumbs
- 5tbsp butter (melted)
- 5tbsp sugar
- For the Chocolate cake
- 1c flour
- 1c sugar
- 1/4c + 3tbsp baking cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2c buttermilk
- 1/2c vegtable oil
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1/2c boiling water
- For the Marshmallow Buttercream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 (13oz) jar marshmallow fluff or creme
- 4c powdered sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- Heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients until well mixed.
- Press a heaping tablespoon full into the bottom of your well greased or paper lined cupcake pan.
- Bake crusts for about 7 minutes, set aside, and reduce oven temp. to 300.
- To begin making the batter, combine all dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add egg, buttermilk, and vegtable oil and mix well.
- Add vanilla to boiling water then add to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- **Note this batter is very thin looking, but it bakes up just fine!**
- Pour batter into cupcake pan, filling 3/4 of the way full and bake for about 19-21 minutes.
- When done, remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool a bit before removing from the pan.
- For the frosting, begin by beating together the butter and vanilla.
- When this looks nice and creamy, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, leaving the mixer on low-med speed.
- Once this is all combined, add the marshmallow creme. It will be sticky, but delicous!
- If you feel it is too thick, you may thin out your frosting 1tbsp of milk or cream at a time, If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time. I found this recipe to be the perfect consistency for icing beautiful cupcakes!
- Finally, I sprinkled a little graham cracker crumbs on top for garnish.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!