I’ll start off by saying I LOVE birthdays, I love having a day to celebrate each special person in my life that is all about them! When my husband and I met 5 years ago, one of the first things we learned about each other is our birthday, that just so happened to be on the same day. It was a fun little connection that sorta “broke the ice” in our relationship.
Despite being born on the same day, a few years apart, we are absolutely opposites. Per, the old saying that means we are perfect for each other right? I think so. To celebrate him, and this special day we share I wanted to make something extra yummy, yet classic! I chose funfetti cupcakes, of course. Who doesn’t love a pop of rainbow sprinkle in soft vanilla cake? crazy people that’s who.
For the Cupcakes:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp milk (preferably whole)
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles (preferably ones without browns)
Rainbow nonpareils, for sprinkling tops (or more sprinkles)
For the Vanilla Buttercream:
1 cup butter, nearly at room temperature (I prefer to use salted)
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift all-purpose flour and cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder and salt and whisk dry mixture, 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg, then mix in egg whites one at a time, blending until combined after each addition. Mix in vanilla and almond extract. Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, alternating with 1/2 of the milk and mixing just until combined after each addition. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in sprinkles.
- Divide mixture among 12 paper lined muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full (about 1/4 cup in each). Bake in preheated oven 17 – 19 minutes until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool in muffin tin several minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then pipe or spread vanilla buttercream frosting over cupcakes and sprinkle with rainbow nonpareils. Store in an airtight container.
- For the frosting*:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, using the paddle whip butter on medium high speed until nearly white and very fluffy, about 7 – 8 minutes (if using a beater blade, the paddle the constantly scrapes the sides while mixing, you can reduce the times listed slightly), frequently scrapping down the sides of the bowl . Add in powdered sugar, and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until blended, then increase speed to medium and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 – 6 minutes, frequently scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- *If you don’t want a lot of frosting like that pictured, you could be okay with half the recipe. It’s so good though, I think you’ll want the full recipe.
- Recipe Source: Funfetti cupcakes and buttercream frosting – Cooking Classy