Bread is what I would consider my favorite food group. A meal is not complete without a warm roll, crusty french bread, or just a nice piece of toast.
Naturally, I want to make all my favorite foods from scratch, so the mission this month has been bread. In an effort to eat more sustainably, I always purchase whole wheat bread from the store, but of course the best and tastiest kinds are about 4$ a loaf. I found this recipe, and I immediately love it before I try it because it costs about 2.75 per loaf, even with using the most whole organic ingredients I can find. Also this recipe only took about an hour of my time, which is incredibly worth it!
This bread is fluffy, rises quickly, and has immaculate flavor. Highly competitive with those store bought loafs. Take that, whole foods.
Credit for this recipe goes to: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com
- 4 Cups very warm water (about 110 degrees)
- 3 packets instant dry yeast
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp salt
- 10-11 Cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl – whisk together water, yeast, honey and salt. Let this rest for 5 mins, or until the yeast begins to foam.
- Add in flour 1 cup at a time with your mixer on low
- When the dough comes together and you’ve added all the flour, swap out your paddle attachment for the dough hook if using a kitchen aide mixer. Otherwise, knead by hand for about 5 minutes.
- If dough is sticky, add small amounts of flour, you will use somewhere between 10-11 cups depending on humidity. I used 10 + 2 tablespoons this time.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees, then turn the oven off.
- Place your mixing bowl inside the oven, and let the dough rise for 15 mins inside the oven.
- Carefully remove the bowl, flour your hand and punch down the dough.
- Split the dough in half, and shape into 2 greased standard sized loaf pans. (9×5 or 8×4)
- Preheat the oven again to 170, and turn it off.
- Let the dough rise in the pans for 20-30 mins or until doubled in size.
- Remove the dough and preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Bake bread for 30 minutes, remove from pans immediately and let cool completely before cutting.