Brownies and I have a different kind of relationship. I love to eat them, but until now I never enjoyed making them. Recipe after recipe I just couldn’t find a winner. Overcooked or under-cooked brownie soup, they never came out right! Until one day it dawned on me… to check The Pioneer Woman blog for a recipe. Why didn’t I think of this sooner? Her recipes never fail me, SURELY they would be delicious. Thank goodness I was right!
These. are. fabulous.
I took this recipe for Mocha Brownies and altered it slightly to fit my needs. I chose to opt out on frosting (for easy stack-able storage) and add some coffee flavor to the brownies themselves which is totally optional because I am sure they are amazing without it.
- 4oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 3tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- Optional 1 Tbsp instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 325 and line your baking pan with parchment paper. I used a 9×13 pan, although the recipe called for an 8″ square.*
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl, in 30 second increments. Do not burn.
- In your mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy then beat in eggs one at a time.
- With mixer on low, pour in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Add flour until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour evenly into prepared baking pan and bake until the center is no longer soft. About 40-45 minutes.
*I found this time to be consistent even though I used a larger pan than directed.
The P-dub recipe adds a delicious frosting that I can’t wait to try next time I make these.